West Texas Insurance Agency

3702 Mockingbird Ln
Amarillo, TX 79109

Can I File a Claim Through My Homeowners Insurance if I Don’t Live in the Home?

If you’re not familiar with all the rules regarding homeowners insurance, you might have many questions about when you can or cannot file a claim. Sometimes, if you’re not sure about something regarding your insurance, you can easily contact your agent to ask questions for clarification. If you’re wondering whether you can file a claim through your homeowner’s insurance for a home you don’t live in, here is an overview that answers this common question. 

If Your Home is Rented Out to a Tenant

If you have rented your home out to a tenant and burglary, a fire, or some other event that results in damage to the home occurs, your tenant should file a claim with their renter’s insurance. However, you can file a claim with your homeowner’s insurance if your tenant doesn’t have renter’s insurance, but in most cases, you will need a copy of the police report. 

If Your Home is Vacant

If your home is vandalized or otherwise damaged while sitting empty, then once you file a police report, you can most certainly file a claim with your homeowner’s insurance. This is one of the reasons to maintain coverage on your home, whether it’s vacant or not, as it will enable you to make repairs on your home without paying out of pocket. 

If you’re an Amarillo, TX homeowner and you’re seeking a new homeowners insurance provider, you should consider giving West Texas Insurance Agency a call. At West Texas Insurance Agency, we take pride in offering top-quality insurance services of all types to our customers, as well as providing excellent customer service. Give us a call today to request a quote.

Servicing States

  • Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • New Mexico